Saturday, June 23, 2012

My Filo Background

Hey there,

I thought it would be good to start this blog by presenting myself and my history with Filofax. Oh my, I'm already talking about it as if it were a relationship...
First of all, I'm not a native English-speaker. I'm writing this blog in English because it is the main language of the wonderful Philofaxy community, but please be forgiving. Do not hesitate to correct me if you notice a spelling or grammar mistake, I'm very much willing to improve.
I've always love stationery, as far as I can remember. I have also always loved organization. I remember spending hours as a little going though all my crayons and classifying them in boxes according to color. My dad used to receive a bunch of promotional planners through his job that he never used, so I'd play with them.
I think I started wanting a Filofax when I was around 14. But I wanted to receive it for a significant date. I wanted it for my 16th birthday, but by then I realized that I couldn't be sure the type and size of the organizer I would need then would still suit me a few years later. I really wanted to have an object I could keep for a loooong loooong time. Something symbolic. Then I wanted one as a high school graduation gift, then one for my 18th birthday, then one for my 20th... Everytime deciding against it for the same reasons. I finally got my first Filo last year, for my 25th birthday. By then I had finished school and had been working for 2 years, so I decided I 'knew' myself and my organization well enough to do this investment.
Before getting it, I had been using the Moleskine planner (week on one page with notes) since high school, either in their A5 size or their pocket. Always with a red cover! I had been perusing the interwebs about Filofax for a while, and especially like to visit Flickr (pictures, which I just love) and Philofaxy of course.
As my birthday was approaching, I decided on a Vintage Pink Pocket Malden to be my first Filo. Choosing the size was the hardest part for me. I didn't want to use a Personal because I knew the size of the page would feel weird to me. I'm much more comfortable using something closer in proportions to A4. Also, I was used to always have my planner with me, so I needed it to be quite portable. To ensure that I would always have it with me, I also wanted it to be my wallet. I also knew I wanted my planner to be in leather (since I wanted it to last for a looong time, remember?), and in some sort of a purple (my favorite color). Then Malden's famous charms did the rest.

From filofax.co.uk


We had been very happy together for a few months when the beautiful sale on Chameleons appeared on Filofax' website. I had been thinking about trying an A5 (my work planner was an A4 of which I filled the pages, but that I deemed too cumbersome). I jumped on the occasion and ordered it, in Aqua. Now Filofax didn't offer delivery to the country where I was living at the time, so I had it delivered to my parents' and had to wait 6 months to meet my beautiful Leon... The agony! But then, it was love at first sight.

From filofax.co.uk


Finally, since I was loving this size so much, I wanted to get a sexy purple Finchley. Tracy was selling one on Ebay and I entered in the bidding war, using Ebay for the first time! Of course I lost... but a few days later I was able to get a Pink Finsbury for a decent price, which was thus my first Ebay win. Pink is not my favorite color, but I still love it very much!

From filofax.co.uk


So, there, you have it, my story so far with my pretty binders!

2 comments:

  1. OOOOH! I love aqua! The chameleon is beautiful, I hear it's soft too

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! I love the Chameleon. I don't know if soft is the right word, because the leather is not as flexible as the Malden's... but it is definitely a pleasure to stroke :) I like that it is more rigid too!

      Delete